Running in San Diego: A Visitor's Guide
Visiting San Diego: A Runner's Paradise
With year round wonderful weather, great destination races, and scenery that would make any city jealous, San Diego is a haven for running vacations throughout the year!
Movin Shoes brings you, here, a short and simple guide to some of the more iconic running locations and events our city and county have to offer. Feel free to visit our stores for more detailed routes so we can cater your experience better!
Places to Run in San Diego
In the city, you will want to run in these 3 iconic locales:
- The San Diego Harbor. The harbor stretches from Point Loma on the north to Chula Vista in the south, and along it's waterfront you will find many of the regions biggest draws. From Stone Brewery in Liberty Station to Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres (and iconic finish of the San Diego Half Marathon), you'll find no shortage of scenic views. Access this waterfront trail from Little Italy, The Gaslamp Quarter, Liberty Station, or the San Diego Convention Center.
- Balboa Park. A gem in the heart of the city. There are paths, trails, and serene get aways sprinkled throughout this park. Home of more museums than you can shake a stick at, as well as the start line or finish like of the world famous San Diego Rock'n'Roll Marathon and AFC Half Marathon. There are a myriad of other local races in the park as well. You can stay on the mesas to run flat, or drop into the canyons for some quiet and hilly variety.
- Mission Bay. Likely the most run location in San Diego. This former wetland is now a haven for runners, cyclists, boaters, and more! The bike path that encircles it is one of the finest running locations you can dream of, and right near it's shore is Movin Shoes, San Diego's iconic and original running store.
- Coastal North County. From Del Mar to Oceanside, Historic Highway 101 is a runner's dream. It offers sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean, and connects to unusual assortment of funky seaside towns, including Solana Beach, Encinitas, Leucadia, Carlsbad, and Cardiff. Stop into Movin Shoes in Encinitas to have them recommend a route, or just go north or south and run in awe.
- Torrey Pines State Park. While hilly, the trails here are spectacular in view. Home of the iconic Torrey Pine, the park has many trails, as well as a great beach to run at low tide. Expect some hills, but the rewards are great.
OUR GREAT RACES
A quick list of San Diego's most amazing running events:
- Carlsbad Half and Full Marathon on January 20, 2019
- Encinitas Half Marathon on March 31, 2019
- San Diego Half Marathon in March
- Hot Chocolate 15k on March 17, 2019
- Carlsbad 5000 in March
- La Jolla Half Marathon in April
- Rock'n'Roll Half and Full Marathon in June
- AFC Half Marathon in August
- Surfing Madonna Beach Run in October
- Holiday Half in December